Master Gardener Trainee classes
If you want to learn in-depth, research-based information about home horticulture and would enjoy sharing what you've learned with others, the UC Master Gardener program of Santa Barbara County offers you an opportunity to both increase your own gardening knowledge and to use that knowledge in service to the community.
The Master Gardener program is a statewide organization within the Agriculture and Natural Resources Division of the University of California. Master Gardener volunteers are expected to meet the following requirements:
For admittance to Master Gardener training:
• Have a commitment to community service in Santa Barbara County
• Be willing to act as an agent of the University of California Cooperative Extension
• Attend mandatory weekly training classes (typically on Wednesday afternoons) from February through June
• Be fingerprinted and pass a Department of Justice background investigation. if CA residency is less than 2 years, an FBI background screening will be required. (Fees associated with these investigations are paid by trainees.)
• Pay the class registration fee (amount varies depending on venue, supplies, etc.)
• Maintain an active personal email account and be reasonably computer literate as all communication and document delivery to volunteers is conducted electronically.
• Attend all training classes and supplemental learning activities
• Pass the final examination with a score of 70 or higher
For remaining active in the program post-graduation:
• During your first year, volunteer at least 50 hours on approved Master Gardener projects and complete 12 hours of approved continuing education classes.
• Each year after the first year, volunteer at least 25 hours per year on approved Master Gardener projects and complete 12 hours of approved continuing education classes.
• Pay annual membership dues and accidental injury insurance coverage
Dates for the next Master Gardener training class are pending. Please check back frequently for up-to-date application instructions.
Trainee class at La Huerta
Old Mission Santa Barbara