Master Gardener Training Classes
If you want to learn in-depth, research-based information about home horticulture and would enjoy sharing what you've learned with others, the UC Master Gardener program of Santa Barbara County offers you an opportunity to both increase your own gardening knowledge and to use that knowledge in service to the community.
The Master Gardener program is a statewide organization within the Agriculture and Natural Resources Division of the University of California. Master Gardener volunteers are expected to meet the following requirements:
For admittance to Master Gardener training:
• Have a commitment to community service in Santa Barbara County
• Be willing to act as an agent of the University of California Cooperative Extension
• Attend mandatory weekly training classes on Wednesday afternoons from January through May
• Be fingerprinted and pass a Department of Justice background investigation. if CA residency is less than 2 years, an FBI background screening will be required. (Fees associated with these investigations are paid by trainees.)
• Pay the class registration fee (amount varies depending on venue, supplies, etc.)
• Maintain an active personal email account and be reasonably computer literate as all communication and document delivery to volunteers is conducted electronically.
• Attend all training classes and supplemental learning activities
• Pass the final examination with a score of 70 or higher
For remaining active in the program post-graduation:
• During your first year, volunteer at least 50 hours on approved Master Gardener projects.
• Each year after the first year, volunteer at least 25 hours per year on approved Master Gardener projects and complete 12 hours of approved continuing education classes.
• Pay annual membership dues
Applications for the 2019 Master Gardener Training Class are now being accepted! Deadline to apply is September 26, 2018. Interviews will be held October 10 and October 17, and applicants will be notified of acceptance by October 24.
2019 Training Class Overview Information Sessions will be held in South County on Saturday, September 8 and in North County on Saturday, September 15. Complete details on the upcoming training class can be found here 2019 MG Invitation to Overview flyer
Download the application MG Program Statewide application
How to apply:
1. Fill out the application online, print out completed form, sign and either mail it to the address below or scan completed application and email to the Master Gardener Helpline <email@example.com>
2. Print out the blank application, fill out and sign, then either mail completed application to the address below or scan completed form and email to the Master Gardener Helpline <firstname.lastname@example.org>
UCCE Master Gardener Program
7127 Hollister Avenue, Suite 7
Goleta, CA 93117
Trainee class at La Huerta
Old Mission Santa Barbara