Master Gardener Program
Watch Us Work
Master Gardener Janet Rogers teaches SB County residents how to properly prune fruit trees at Mesa Harmony Garden, Santa Barbara, CA.
(January 04, 2020)
Due to the presence of the HLB vector, Asian Citrus Psyllids, in Santa Barbara County, do not accept citrus budwood for grafting from backyard growers.
Please obtain verified HLB-free citrus budwood from the Citrus Clonal Protection Program at UC Riverside (https://ccpp.ucr.edu/).
Master Gardeners Make a Difference!
In 2017-18, Santa Barbara County Master Gardeners contributed 4,618 volunteer hours and earned 822 continuing education hours as part of their annual commitment to the program.
Nearly 4,000 Santa Barbara County residents were contacted by Master Gardeners who presented free public workshops at the downtown Central Library, hosted regular information tables at Santa Barbara Farmer's Market and for special regional events such as Earth Day and the California Avocado Festival.
Volunteers also responded to telephone and email inquiries from residential gardeners through the Master Gardener Helpline, and interacted with visitors to our project sites around the county: La Huerta Historic Garden at Old Mission Santa Barbara, the Butterfly Garden at Alice Keck Park Memorial Garden, Mesa Harmony Garden, and our newest project at Santa Barbara Botanic Garden.
The value of our volunteer service to the community during this period was $134,337.62.
Learn from Us!
FREE Hands-On Rose Pruning with UC Master Gardeners
- When: Saturday, Jan. 11 from 9AM to Noon:
- Where: A.C. Postel Rose Garden, 2201 Laguna St., Santa Barbara
- Bring: Your favorite work gloves and pruning shears.
- Learn: How to prune diverse rose bushes to help them thrive!
- UC Master Gardeners will answer your questions and prune alongside you from 9AM to 12PM! We'll have name tags and work aprons so you can easily find us.
- The Santa Barbara Rose Society will start this free event with rose pruning demonstrations and refreshments!
- Rain postpones this event to the following Saturday, Jan. 19.
The City of Santa Barbara Parks and Recreation Department cares for the park's 1,500+ rose bushes throughout the year, with help from the Rose Society and volunteers like you.
FREE Success with Succulents 101
- When: Sunday, Feb. 02 from 2PM to 3:30PM
- Where: Santa Barbara Public Library, Faulkner Gallery, 40 E. Anapamu, Santa Barbara
- Bring: Pictures of your succulent problems and questions
- Learn: How to grow succulents--in pots and in your landscape!
- Hands-on propagation--Go home with a pot of your very own succulents!
Stay tuned for more opportunities to learn from your local UC Master Gardeners! We hope to see you soon.
Who We Are
UCCE Master Gardeners of Santa Barbara County are volunteers who are trained to provide science-based information, workshops, and educational programs for home gardeners. Resources offered by Master Gardeners include plant and pest identification, best practices for problem-solving, soil health and compost production, and cultural guidelines for growing a wide variety of edible and ornamental plants suitable to Santa Barbara County.
The Master Gardener Program is sponsored by the University of California Cooperative Extension, a division of
UC Agriculture and Natural Resources.